Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Shit You Should Know...For Your Own Good

Cute Is What We Aim For

I'm usually not a fan of the whiny emo-ish music sung by guys with hair combed over their forehead, zip-up hoodies and scarves, but I stumbled upon these guys sometime last year, via the knowledgeable music resource PureVolume, before they released their now popular debut album on Fueled By Ramen (hell, you could even buy it at Target for a while). For some reason I can deal with the whiny vocals. I'll probably be ashamed of this in the future when they explode and become the next emo craze that every teenage girl falls in love with, but right now I'm enjoying their debut album, The Same Old Blood Rush With A New Touch (see, they even have an entirely too long album title a la Fall Out Boy).
I'm really into these two songs, the ones I originally downloaded off of PureVolume.

Cute Is What We Aim For - "Lyrical Lies" (m4a)
Cute Is What We Aim For - "Teasing to Please (Left Side, Strong Side)" (m4a)


The High Speed Scene
This LA-based trio have been pretty dormant as of late, but according to their website, they're still together and are getting back to work. The lighthearted punk-rockers (that's the best way I can describe them) released one of my favorite albums, their self-titled debut, in 2005, but I didn't find out about them until they came across my Pandora playlist last year (does anyone still use that thing?). They mix punk-rock with lighthearted and often extremely comical lyrics to create a sound that has you bopping around and smiling like an idiot. You should definitely download the songs below, but also pick up their album. You won't be disappointed.

The High Speed Scene - "the IROC-Z Song" (m4a)
The High Speed Scene - "Assingear" (m4a)
The High Speed Scene - "Hottie" (m4a)

P.S. You don't know how hard it was to pick two songs to put on the blog...so I put 3.

No comments: