Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Top Ten Best and Worst Instruments


While doing my daily music blog browsing (normally in some class that I really don't care about) I came across a cool list on Idolator that was taken from British music magazine The Word. A couple of things caught my eye. First, the acoustic guitar is listed as the #1 worst instrument ever. Interesting call, I must say. But what excited me the most and prompted me to write this entry was that the #5 best instrument ever is the sousaphone. Confession: Andy and I were band geeks in high school (I still am, but only for UNC basketball tickets) and we played the sousaphone (the marching version of a tuba...the really big thing). So you can imagine my excitement when I see that it's not the geeky instrument I once thought it was, but one of the top ten coolest (ok, so I changed the meaning a little bit) instruments. I will now carry that 35 lbs. piece of brass with pride.

Here is the complete list:

Worst
1. The acoustic guitar
2. Fretless bass
3. Sitar
4. Children's choirs
5. Paul McCartney chewing vegetables for percussion
6. Feedback
7. Simmons drums
8. The voice of Mariah Carey
9. Flying V guitar
10. Side of pork which Scott Walker punches for percussion on The Drift

Best
1. The vocoder
2. Double bass
3. Glass harmonica
4. Mellotron
5. Sousaphone, as played by John Simon with the Band
6. The Pet Sounds box of fun
7. The voice of Björk
8. The Flaming Lips' boombox orchestra
9. Roland TB-303 bassline
10. The melodica

Link [Idolator]

No comments: